Wednesday, May 09, 2007

If I never posted anything again...

If I had only ONE CHANCE to finally reach someone and convince them that there are valid reasons to doubt the Mormon faith, what would I talk about? I've spent many hours pouring over subjects that the church would rather keep hidden and obfuscate from their members, in order to maintain faith, (i.e. tithing money).

I've come up with a list of eight topics that I have previously posted about, that I feel would be enough to convince the average Mormon that what they have been taught by those innocent missionaries is not the whole story. I would put forth the challenge from any true believing Mormon to take these topics, and run over to FAIR (Foundation for Apologetic Information and Research) or The Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship at BYU (fka FARMS, which stood for Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies ) and see what the top Mormon scholars are saying to refute these claims. After all, that's what got me started on my way out of the church......it wasn't what the detractors were saying, it was the explanations
supplied by the defenders of the faith that caused me to have my WTF moment.

Here they are, in no particular order:

1. DNA Evidence

2. Archaeological Evidence (or lack of)

3. The Book of Mormon Translation Process

4. The Book of Abraham Papyrus

5. Polygamy

6. Denial of Priesthood to Black Men

7. Mountain Meadows Massacre

8. Freemasonry Connection


Any TBM that can go through these topics and come out more convinced of the truthfulness of the church needs to share how they can do it with us proud intellectuals who just don't feel the spirit anymore....

No comments: